Kotoko South Africa trip moved to July 29
Posted on: Thu Jun 21, 2012
Kotoko’s impending trip to South Africa to participate in a four-club competition in honour of the great leader, Nelson Mandela has been moved to July 29, 2012 with English Premiership side, Manchester United unable to take part in the tournament. The competition was initially billed to take place in the middle of next month.
Public and Supporters Relations Manager, Listowell Yesu Bukarson disclosed to Kotoko Express on Wednesday that a letter from the organizers of the tournament announced a new date as well as Manchester United’s decision to decline the invitation because they have already planned their pre-season programme which though includes matches with two South African clubs.
Listowell said two South African clubs and another African club which is yet to be named would join Kotoko for the competition.
“They sought to know whether the new date will be fine with us. The new date will not affect our programme so we will participate. Our training sessions are on course. We are gearing up for our pre-season assignments to get into proper shape” he said.
Kotoko is expected in Accra next week’s to engage Berekum Chelsea at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in this year’s President’s Cup match. The team has consequently been training and preparing feverishly for that game. The team will continue training and emplane for South Africa on July 28.
Meanwhile, organizers of the President’s Cup match, the Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) met in Accra on Tuesday to plan for the big match. Kotoko’s Deputy Accra Representative, Nana Kwame Dankwa who was at the meeting told Kotoko Express in a brief interview at press time that discussions at the Ghalca meeting went well. He said the league champions would definitely give Berekum Chelsea a good run for their money in Accra.
“They are in the league stage of the African Champions League. They must give a good account of themselves. By virtue of winning the league this season, we have also qualified to play in Africa next year so expectations will be high for both teams. We are the current champions and we must prove it” said Nana Kwame.
- 2013-05-21 05:42:36 - Hearts, Kotoko oldies play on Sunday
- 2013-05-21 05:38:10 - Reserves team will keep winning – Zito
- 2013-05-21 05:19:31 - Soulama worried over string of draws
- 2013-05-20 08:13:35 - Kotoko-Aduana Stars match report
- 2013-05-20 08:10:38 - Fans fume at bad officiating in Sunyani
- 2013-05-19 13:52:50 - Kotoko drops to second position
- 2013-05-18 06:49:51 - Security at league centres to be reinforced
- 2013-05-18 02:06:23 - Kotoko to shake Sunyani tomorrow
- 2013-05-17 14:38:20 - Sunyani ready to host Kotoko
- 2013-05-17 14:29:10 - Akuffu looks up to Aduana clash