Reserves Team Captain promoted
Posted on: Thu Jun 21, 2012
The captain and midfield supremo of the Kotoko Reserves Team, Kwadwo Poku, says his dream of becoming a star in the Kotoko family is coming up as he received a career- boosting news of his promotion into the seniors’ team on Tuesday.
The young, energetic and highly talented player, though had been training with the seniors since the team regrouped to prepare for the President’s Cup ,never knew that his coaches had other plans for him for the coming season.
After training session on Tuesday, Coach Maxwell Konadu in the presence of reserves team coach, Henry Wellington and administrative manager, Ben Nti, called the player and delivered the exciting news to him.
Kwadwo was speechless for some seconds, but gathered enough courage to say a big thank you to his coaches and joined his senior colleagues on the team bus for their journey back home from training.
Coach Maxwell Konadu later told Kotoko Express that he has since the start of the season been monitoring Kwadwo and was impressed with his output.
“Kwadwo is a good player with special talents that are rare to have such a combination being exhibited in one player. He tackles well, passes well and above all, has a very high work rate. I have confidence that when given the chance as we gave to the Rahman and Anaba, he will be a good revelation for the team.
“What he needs at this time is for all of us to support him and give him the encouragement we give to young players to excel,” Coach Maxwell added.
Back on the team bus, Kwadwo told Kotoko Express “I know all my plans for now are going to be difficult to achieve but that notwithstanding, my immediate target is to make it into the first eighteen of the senior team. When that is achieved, I also want to be playing regularly and win medals, trophies and laurels with Kotoko and the work starts now”.
He admitted that with the calibre of players in the team, it was going to be difficult to break into the first team.
Reserves Team coach, Henry Wellington, spoke highly of his player and said he wanted the fans to see him play and be judges for themselves.
“I want fans to watch out for him and they will know the material the reserves team has been able to groom for Kotoko”. Wellington added.
Kwadwo Poku joined Kotoko at the start of the 2011/12 season from Berekum Chelsea.
- 2013-06-14 14:04:10 - Confident Black Stars to beat Lesotho again
- 2013-06-14 13:46:14 - Aziz eyes first ever medal
- 2013-06-14 13:41:07 - Ben Adama excited by Kotoko stint
- 2013-06-14 13:29:40 - Fans to pick Player of the Season
- 2013-06-14 13:14:50 - Kotoko to contest three-match ban
- 2013-06-12 16:26:12 - Mpong, six others anxious of debut title
- 2013-06-11 01:52:09 - Training session resumes this morning
- 2013-06-11 01:47:39 - Eric Donkor expects Kotoko to be double winners
- 2013-06-11 01:41:41 - Dr. Sarpong applauds Takoradi Circle’s sponsor
- 2013-06-11 01:32:46 - Kotoko inch closer to 22nd league title