Kotoko sweep Glo/PLB awards
Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012
True to their confidence of making a clean sweep of the awards to be given out at the 2011/12 Glo-PLB Awards, Fabulous Asante Kotoko took five out of the ten inter-club/player categories awards at the event held at the Golden Tulip Hotel, Kumasi City.
With the League title firmly secured as the first known award, Kotoko, represented by the Executive Chairman Dr. K.K Sarpong, Head Coach, Maxwell Konadu, players Awal Mohamed and Nii Adjei took the juicy and attractive awards for the night.
For his visionary and result-oriented managerial skills, Dr. K.K Sarpong was adjudged the best CEO, Best Coach; Maxwell Konadu, Best Defender: Awal Mohamed and Daniel Nii Adjei as the Best Player of the season under review.
Nii Adjei's award came along with a GHc5,000 prize money, whilst Kotoko received a miniature key to a mini bus to be handed over soon.
In other categories, Kotoko's duo of Soulama Abdoulaye and Baba Abdul Rahman lost their bids to become Best Goalkeeper and the Most Promising Player respectively.
The ceremony, which was being hosted outside of the national capital, Accra, was given a blend of Ashanti tradition and the colors of the title sponsors with Police band providing some good music to entertain the fans.
The special guest of honor was Otumfuo Osei Tutu II but the Mamponghene, Nana Osei Bonsu, represented him.
Though the start of the program delayed for about an hour, the organizers did their possible best to stick to the closing time.
Former national and Asante Kotoko stalwart defender and now a Reverend Minister of God, Kwadwo Addai Kyenkyehene opened the program with a prayer after which dignitaries invited were introduced and acknowledged.
Sponsors speeches were read on behalf of their company by their respective representatives with the bottom-line of their speeches being on the need for partners in sports to strive for excellence and also ensure that sponsors also get their millage to showcase their products.
At the high table were the GFA President, Akwasi Nyantakyi, PLB chairman Wilberck Abra-Appiah, Derrick Obobi of Glo, Christopher Opoku of OMP, the MD of Anglogold Ashanti, Obuasi mine , Kwesi Enyam who was the chairman of the ceremony.
In all, sixteen awards and certificates of recognition were given, out of which Kotoko won five.
The categories of awards and their winners are as follows
- Most Valuable Plyer --- Daniel Nii Adjei
- Best Coach -------Maxwell Konadu
- Best C.E.O------Dr. K.K. Sarpong
- Best Goalkeeper: Robert Dabu
- Best defenders ----Awal Mohamed
- Most Promising Player----Joshua Oninku
- Best referee -------william Adgbomi
- Best Assistant referee-------David agyin
- Best behaved group ------Wa All Stars
- Goalking--------- Emmanuel Baffour
- Best macth commissioner -----Arthur Dadzie etc
- 2013-12-11 23:12:59 - Meet Kotoko’s four new recruits
- 2013-12-10 20:16:49 - Sammy Kuffour wants media to be circumspect on Kotoko
- 2013-12-10 20:06:38 - NCC draws close to elections
- 2013-12-10 19:58:37 - Prince Baffoe calls for more support at matches
- 2013-12-09 22:00:25 - Adu Gyamfi urges media to respect confidentiality
- 2013-12-09 21:56:42 - Didi applauds players’ tactical response
- 2013-12-09 21:44:59 - Seidu Bancey in top scoring form
- 2013-12-09 21:35:14 - Editorial: Kotoko now in cruise control
- 2013-12-09 21:29:37 - Kotoko register 26 players for Africa
- 2013-12-09 11:34:28 - Board inaugurates Africa Committee