The team fought hard to earn a point.

Kotoko draw amidst Dormaa intimidation

Posted on: Mon Jun 12, 2017 - Report by Gideon Boakye Botwe

Coach Steven Polack and his players on Monday earned a vital away point against Aduana Stars on match day 18 of the 2016/17 Premier League as their fiery encounter at the Dormaa Park ended goalless. The draw keeps the Porcupines at 5th position with 26 points. 

At the Dormaa Park, Kotoko had to deal with three strong external forces; a patchy pitch, poor officiating by Referee S. B. Bortey and a rather hostile crowd that was ready to devour anyone at the least provocation. 

Aside these, there was much improvement in Kotoko’s play as they fiercely battled their opponent who moved heaven and earth to win the match but to no avail. For Aduana Stars and their supporters, even resorting to foul methods to win the game was appropriate. They chased out the television crew that had arrived hours before the game for a live transmission. 

Bent on ensuring that, all recording devices controlled by persons outside their club aren’t allowed inside the stadium, lawless Aduana fans also prevented Kotoko Express' Photojournalist, Gideon Boakye Botwe from taking pictures of the match from anywhere; neither inside the inner perimeter nor from the improvised stands at the Park. 

Perhaps the luckiest media man at the venue was the Ghana Football Association (GFA)’s cameraman, who defied their orders of the rowdy fans and mounted his tripod, standing on a scaffolding about 20-feet high. Out of anger and irritation, the rampaging fans attacked him. 

They shook the scaffolding in the full glare of two helpless-looking policemen. It was only as a result of divine intervention that, the GFA cameraman didn’t fall from his position. Thus, while media personnel were fighting for space outside the pitch; the players fought for points on the pitch with Referee S. B. Bortey determined to aid Aduana Stars to a futile win. 

Saddick Adams nearly converted a close range free kick in the 40th minute. Shortly afterwards, Baba Mahama was given a late foul although he was in good position to carry on with play. The resultant kick went astray. The first half ended goalless with Aduana Stars barely threatening Kotoko. Coach Polack replaced injured Saddick Adams and Collins Ameyaw with Abass Mohammed and Seth Opare respectively before the restart.  

Kotoko dictated the pace in the opening ten minutes but couldn’t threaten enough as most of their moves were flagged offside by the referee. Disaster struck Kotoko in the 67th minute when Jackson Owusu was shown the red card. The hard-working midfielder twisted his knee while clearing the ball inside the center circle. 

Though he was on the ground writhing in pain, the referee allowed the game to continue. He later ushered in the medical team and the St. John's Ambulance men at the same time. The ambulance men wanted Jackson Owusu to get on the stretcher while the medical team wanted to attend to his immediate need before taking him out. 

The ambulance men held the player to forcefully put him onto the stretcher. The player’s natural resistance earned the red card. Kotoko were however not daunted. Coach Polack replaced Obed Owusu with Evans Quao with the intent defending as the game was then cruising to an end.

The Porcupines, determined to win a point, preserved even when Aduana Stars desperately searched for the elusive goal with the shameful support of the referee, who allowed the second half to ran for 50 minutes before adding five minutes which also turned into right minutes. 

Kotoko: Felix Annan, Amos Frimpong, Ahmed Adams, Awal Mohammed, Jackson Owusu, Emmanuel Gyamfi, Collins Ameyaw/Seth Opare, Obed Owusu/Evans Quao, Saddick Adams/Abass Mohammed, Baba Mahama. Bench: Isaac Amoako, Sarfo Gyamfi, Ediwn Tuffour. 

club advert



Everpure MTN GFA CAF FIFA Superbets
© Copyright Asante Kotoko SC 2018 - All rights reserved